Search This Blog

Friday 7 June 2019

Gunby Hall

Gunby Hall
I've had a lovely staycation for Amy's visit and it's made a great start to Jam in June.  Usually May is a jam month but I was too busy so I'm Embracing Jam in June.  (Hover here for what a Jam Month is.)




Amy and I both enjoy visiting gardens and we're both members of the National Trust so off we went to Gunby Hall, the nearest National Trust property to me.  I've never visited it before, I'm ashamed to say, but this first visit won't be my last.  I couldn't go into the house as it's not very accessible, but Amy said it was lovely.  Instead I went around the gardens without too much difficulty. 











I love looking at garden views which invite one in.  Open gates, paths with an unseen destination or paths with overhanging branches which create arches all do this for me and Gunby has them in abundance.  

The flowers are traditional English garden plants with a wonderful balance of colour with muted shades and bright, zingy highlights.

And I came away wanting to know more.  Can someone tell me the name of this plant?






6 comments:

  1. I am sad to say despite living only a few miles away for years I never did visit Gunby Hall myself. I must make an effort and visit next time I visit my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's well worth it. Not a large property so just two or three hours would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely garden photos. I have no idea what that plant is though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry can't help with the plant. It looks as if it belongs to either the Gunera family or the Marrow family!!! Have a good weekend. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of Gunby Hall gardens - and I know what that plant is (I've got one growing very well in a shady, damp part of my garden). It's an ARUM and has poisonous orange berries in the autumn. A fuller description -
    "A high-scoring perennial, arum has large, white-veined leaves and an early-summer creamy white spadix. The foliage of 'Marmoratum' is showier, marbled with pale green. The orange-red berries are toxic. Height: 12 inches Spread: 6 inches Soil Preference: Well-drained soil, moist soil Sun or Shade: Full sun, partial or dappled shade."

    ReplyDelete