Search This Blog

Monday 18 March 2019

Everything takes longer than it did!

Before I started
I've hinted at my Vision 2020 project a couple of times so here's what it's about.  I've often heard the phrase 2020 Vision, meaning perfect sight but I decided that I would go wonky on this one. I don't want perfection!   It just seemed to me that I would like to improve my life in various areas before 2020 gets here.  There are plenty of areas (financial, social, health etc) which I could improve so I've chosen just a few.

All my life I have fought a rising tide of clutter and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  I have too many hobbies, too many interests, too much memorabilia to be a minimalist.  And that's not really what I want anyway.  What I need is safety to avoid falls.  What I want is to have things in a state where I can find them, sorted to inspire me to create.  If I can't find things when I want them I might as well not have them.  

I decided that the place to start would be my playroom.    There are unfiled papers, uncompleted projects, things which I have dumped until I have time to put them away, just STUFF!  I thought it would take four or five hours but already it's taken nearly eleven and the end is nowhere near in sight. 

Maybe Vision 2020 will take until the end of 2020!

21 comments:

  1. Not sure if this will help but seeing the picture - start on one corner and work your way around the room. Also pick up all the unwanted things straight away and throw away you will be amazed then how quickly it will move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Sue, that picture was taken before I started. I have moved everything out and am gradually moving stuff back. It's not just a case of tidying, it's got to be fairly thorough decluttering and sorting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think I have quite a family of sisters, truth to tell!

      Delete
  3. Oh Dear......Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small bites of the elephant my dear....

    Start in one corner and work to the other. You can do it, I did and need to do so again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've shifted everything out and am sorting as I return (some of) it. It takes a long time!

      Delete
  5. Quite the task, but worth all the effort in the end. It reminds me of my craft room at times organised chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with taking it step by step, it's the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trouble is that as you look at something to decide what to do with it, you just HAVE to read it properly. Photos need to be studied; cards - who sent that one and what did they write inside? Why have I saved it? And then, you think, a nice cup of tea and then I'll do some more, but once you close the door - you don't go back! Best wishes on acheiving your goal - and if you discover a foolproof way to do it, please tell us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you never fear. At the moment I'm just trying not to break my neck as I do it!

      Delete
  8. That looks like a huge task and you will be happy when it is all organized. I always feel more light when I complete a room project; I have a spare bedroom that needs to be emptied and walls painted, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall certainly be happier when it is sorted. I've posted the above because I need to be accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a room which looks very similar, well done for making the start and well done for being brave enough to share this "before" picture. I look forward to seeing the "after" picture. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shame is a very necessary self-administered kick!

      Delete
  11. Have you tried the three box method: keep, toss, give away? Your room looks a lot like some of my daughter's spaces. I've stopped commenting on them because she knows they need cleaning out. Time to do that is what she needs. You've got that and I think you'll meet your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've tried and that's more or less what I am doing.

      Delete
  12. ooh I'd love to get in there and help you be brutal in culling all that which you do not need and help you keep the relevant stuff. Good luck - I am sure you will find renewed creative energy once you have it sorted. I regularly clean and sort and it always results in new creative surges. Happy Spring Equinox and Cleaning. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cleaner is here tomorrow and she has designs on my stuff too. Actually I've done quite a bit already. I'm hoping she will give me at least a bronze star.

    ReplyDelete