Search This Blog

Sunday 3 February 2019

Rather big for Brownies!

Sixty years ago I thought Brownies were wonderful!  I joined 1st Old Brumby Brownies when I was seven and became first a gnome and then an elf.  I was an enthusiastic Brownie until I "flew up" to Guides and eventually I went to Rangers before becoming a leader myself.

There was one thing I didn't like about Brownies though.  I didn't like sewing badges on my tunic.  This wasn't a minor dislike in our household as Mother insisted that all badges had to be unpicked and sewn on again each time my tunic was washed.  Most Brownies' mums in those days did the sewing (and left the badges on when the garment was washed) but as soon as I turned nine I had to do my own.

Move on sixty years and I feel as though I am back in the Brownies again as I have been sewing badges on a Brownie blanket.  They take far more badges these days than we did sixty years ago!  In this case not only couldn't the Brownie do it for herself, her mum didn't feel up to the task either and as she's a busy teacher I was happy to help.

So out came my pins, needles, thread and thimble and here's the result.    It's all too rare an occurrence these days for me to feel I have anything practical to offer so doing this for a lovely little girl was a pleasure.

I was told that I could stitch them on in any order I liked.  Although I enjoyed doing the sewing I'm hoping that's true as I really don't want to have to unpick them and start all over again.  

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do. It brought back some lovely memories of my own years as a Brownie/Guide and then a leader for both Rainbows and Brownies. As well as the years my own three daughters were Rainbows/Brownies/Guides. Two of our Grand daughters are now part of the movement one a Rainbow the other a Brownie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kept my own badges and one day I'll do something with them. But what?

      Delete
  2. Looking good to me, as a Guide Guider I wanted a blanket with badges to wrap around me at campfires. I didn't have one, I can't remember why anyway as we always camped on the Whitsun week, a blanket and the camp fire would have been too hot. But that one you're sewing is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket is an official Brownie one - I've never seen one before.

      Delete
  3. I was a brownie and a guide and was a first class guided. I had a blanket and them my daughter and then my granddaughter had it, I will have to see if it us still around. My daughter was a guide and my granddaughter and both were queens guides and my daughter has been a guider for the last 20 years. They were lovely memories.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of badges! How lovely to have a three generation blanket.

      Delete
  4. My little granddaughter joined the Beavers when they moved to a town, because the Cub leader didn't get back in touch. She absolutely loves it and is about to go on her first few days and nights stay at half term. She's only 8 and her big brother was 10 before he went away with the Cub Scouts, so she's loving that! I don't think the Beavers 'do' blankets or I reckon Grandma would have been asked to sew badges. You've done a lovely job there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I did the blanket I had done a cub shirt for another child and I think various other mums are eyeing me up as well.

      Delete
  5. You are a saint because sewing those patches on is quite the job! I do some by hand and some on the machine. If I had to take them off and sew them back on for washing I think I would try velcro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy hand sewing. I can sit by my window and sew four hours.

      Delete
  6. I was a Guider for many years in the movement. Loved the time spent and the friendships made. Very nice of you to sew all those badges on.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a guider for many years too. I was really pleased to do this job - I get lots of help from other people, so it was a joy to feel useful.

      Delete