Search This Blog

Friday 9 November 2018

Nimbler in November

Mother used to tell me to use my head to save my legs.  What she meant was think about what you're doing so you don't need to use any more energy than necessary.  These days when I bend down to tie my shoelaces I look around to make sure there's nothing else I can do while I'm down there.

As you know I am "mobility challenged".  I use a trundle truck (mobility scooter).  I have a Home Enhancer (cleaner) and a gardener/handyman to help with stuff I can't do for myself.  All sorts of people help me on an ad hoc basis and most of them would do far more if I would let them.  And therein lies a problem.  It would be all-too-easy for me to lose even more mobility.

"Using my head to save my legs" needs to have  new meaning for me.   I want to keep such mobility as I have for as long as possible and that means I have to move rather more than I have been doing.  I have to find ways to move which I can fit into my everyday life.  This is easier said than done!

This week I have spent a lot of time in front of my computer doing a big job of scanning.  I decided to set an alarm to remind me to walk a few steps (about a hundred) every half hour.  Today I remembered that I owed a friend £1.  This morning I have walked the hundred yards or so to take the money.  I know she would have been quite happy for me to pay her next week when we meet for coffee but the challenge of that walk was important.  I've tried to stand at the worktop rather than sit at the kitchen table to prepare food.  

These "movement snacks" are all things which most people do without even thinking about it.  For me they are important.  I want to save my legs.  


12 comments:

  1. Good for you! You lead such an active life despite the limitations your mobility creates, but thinking how to keep as agile as possible is so smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sam, I want to keep it active and will do what it takes.

      Delete
  2. You are right. My husband has just started a weekly 'Chair Pilates' class, exercises that he can do in the wheelchair. The leader of the class is so enthusiastic and this half hour weekly will make a difference, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to find a suitable class near me. Having other people "in the same boat" (or even the same chair) is such an encouragement.

      Delete
  3. We are rethinking Gerard's mobility since his heart attack so that he moves instead of me doing it for him, it is hard to see him struggle when I can do it easily. We have found a chair aerobics class locally that we both go to its such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that's Elizabeth and you both saying you have found local "chair" classes. Maybe I need to look harder.

      Delete
  4. This is something I need to do more of - moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are setting an excellent example, Mary. I recently had a few weeks when I was unable to go out and walk and now I am so thankful that I can resume my walks. But now I find I'm unfit and get breathless after just a short distance. So I'm trying to increase the distances and the speed, rather than a leisurely amble. We owe it to ourselves to do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS I recall you were one fit lady so I doubt if it will be long before you are fit again. Can't let Benji be fitter than you.

      Delete
  6. The Minister of Health would be proud of all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Mandy, you know me - it will be a long time before I'm a shining example!

      Delete