Search This Blog

Sunday 16 September 2018

The First Half

When I wrote it down I was rather surprised at the amount of stuff I had in mind for September and I have to admit it looked crazy!  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained so I waded in.  Here's what's happened in the first half of the month.

1.  Watering someone else's garden.  What I didn't mention was that this involved a thirty mile round trip each time.  The weather helped - I went just four times to supplement the rain.  

2.  Start crochet lessons.  I've been to the crochet group twice so far.  I could crochet already but I couldn't follow a pattern and I could work only in circles and squares.  I've started on a ripple blanket but it has involved a lot of pulling down so I'm not going to show you a photo yet. 

3.  WI meetings.  Definitely accomplished.  I showed my support for Women's Suffrage and I ate a Harvest Supper.  I also won some daffodil bulbs in a harvest quiz - a bonus to be fully appreciated in the spring .

4  One Trefoil Guild meeting attended and the second is later in the month.

5.  The baptism is today.  Also I suddenly got bookings for Sundays.  I've taken a service today with less than two days notice.

6.  Three meals out thus far, one cancellation and three meals still to go.  Does that add up to the four I had planned?  

7.  I've declined seven Harvest Festivals.  I love going to them but hate leading them.  However, I've also said, "If you're desperate . . . "

8.  The big accomplishment is that I have made 94 Christmas cards.

Can't stop though.  Lots to do.  Only one hundred days to Christmas.  (Sorry about that!)

18 comments:

  1. That is impressive. Brilliant work on the Christmas cards. May your ripples flow and flourish!

    I am intrigued, though, what is it that you don't like about leading Harvest Festivals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If no address/sermon is needed I have no problem. I find sermon writing for harvest quite difficult and village people around here tend to travel to each others festivals so sermons can't be re-used.

      Delete
  2. 94 cards made! I haven't even started yet. You need to post some photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your a very bust lady this September. That is a lot of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed by the amount of Christmas cards made. Whilst I have made a start on some little gifts, I have yet to start on the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said 'only 100 days to go . . ' I panicked slightly, then realised that's quite a reasonable way away! No panic, then - although these days I don't make my cards (i used to paint them) and as the children grow up they prefer money to presents. My shopping will be done online, so armed with a list I can do that in a couple of evenings. Wandering around shops is a thing of the past since I had Beni, thanks to his Separation Anxiety; he needs to accompany me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound to have got Christmas tamed - with Benji's help!

      Delete
  6. 94 cards!Wow that's amazing!

    I'm trying not to think about Christmas yet, it's going to be a strange one for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be very strange. Be gentle on yourself. XXX

      Delete
  7. Well done on your card making. I only send a handful of cards but choose these carefully at the Christian Book Shop. My nieces and nephews all get a handmade ornament for the tree and those are certainly pleasurable to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've moved around quite a bit and have had three careers as well so I have quite a few friends from earlier parts of my life with whom I like to exchange news at Christmas even if at no other time. And it's nice to send "a little bit of me" in the shape of a handmade card. Your tree ornaments are definitely superior!

      Delete
  8. You have been a busy Mary! I have been unpacking moving boxes -- still. I am never moving again. Your month sounds lovely so far -- I am sure the rest is going to be equally as rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using my best endeavours to make sure it is equally rewarding or even better.

      Delete
  9. It's scary how quickly Christmas comes around once September's here. I think a ripple is my favourite type of blanket to make, I love the soothing rhythm of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I shall find it soothing too. At the moment that is not the adjective I would use.

      Delete