Search This Blog

Sunday 12 August 2018

Connecting with my Family History


Out into the Lincolnshire countryside today, this time to lead worship at St Mary's Church, Thoresway. 


The 2011 census reckoned that 198 people live at Thoresway but that figure also includes Kirmond-le-Mire which has St Martin's Church, and Stanton-le-Vale which is served by St Andrew's Church so that's three Anglican churches serving less than two hundred people!  

So I went to Thoresway and joined ten people for the morning service.  Everyone sat in the choir and it was lovely.
Uncle Palmer.  The dates refer to his incumbency at Walesby

Actually I had a smile at even the thought of going to Thoresway because I remember my Mother talking about going with my Father on their bicycles to visit his Uncle Palmer (who was Rector of Thoresway) for marriage preparation.  My Mother's family lived about five miles from Thoresway and Uncle Palmer came to their village to conduct their wedding.

So I feel that Thoresway is part of my story too.

I hope Uncle Palmer would have approved of the service this morning.

11 comments:

  1. Uncle Palmer is indeed a handsome man! And that church is beautiful and what a wonderful part of your family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time I knew him, Palmer was quite elderly but he still has quite a presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bet you uncle would be quite proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he would. I don't know his views on women in ministry though. He was quite "modern" in some ways. When he conducted my parents wedding he wouldn't allow "obey" in the vows as he said it was unrealistic for a "modern" marriage. That was in 1940.

      Delete
  4. We can't know what his views would be, but I reckon that he would be very pleased and delighted with you and tickled pink that you led the service in his old church. Lovely area of Lincolnshire and a wonderful piece of family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a lovely time following him around. I know that over the years he was rector/vicar of Thoresway, Walesby, Rothwell and Cuxwold and he is buried at Cuxwold. I've taken services at all but Rothwell. I don't know where he was before Thoresway - that's something I want to find out.

      Delete
  5. An unusual first name, very common as a surname around here and interesting family connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be even more unusual his full name was (I think) Palmer Allison Sharp. I want to go to the county archves some time to see if I can find out more about him.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely family connection so it must have been a thrill leading the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I always enjoy "his" churches and the congregations also like to know the connection.

      Delete
  7. Palmer is my 1st cousin 3x removed. His grandfather was infamous!

    ReplyDelete