Search This Blog

Thursday 14 June 2018

Tales of the Riverbank

Brigg is a small market town just a few miles from home and it's one of my favourite places to go for an hour or two.  When I was a girl traffic used to thunder through the town, but it now has much better roads and the historic heart of the town is now pedestrianised and very trundle-truck-friendly.


At the heart of the town is a dreamy river called the Ancholme.  Much of the Ancholme was canalised in the eighteenth century but there are still some "real" bits and both the canal and the river are lovely.  


There's a family of swans and cygnets, entirely at home under this busy road bridge.





Along from them ducks dabble under the pedestrian bridge.  Both places are good for rich pickings of food from passers by.

Today is a working day but at a weekend the river is home to a local rowing club.

Dog walkers, joggers and bird watchers use the tow path.












And even trundle truck users can enjoy getting out.

11 comments:

  1. I always like a walk by a river, or any water come to that. We live by the sea and I couldn't think what it would be like not to be by water.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a thought for Mr Bah Humbug , Brigg havent been there for a while and he could have a trundle round , but then again my long ex husband has moved back from there ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful spot to visit on a nice day. You do get about even in your trundle truck. We have several residents here that use those - some are better at driving than others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such beauty. So glad it wasn't all messed up. And that there are still place, along the canal and river, to find beauty and peace.

    Wonderful that you can enjoy it too. Your trundle vehicle needs smoothness. And lots of older people, even on foot, need smoothness. Otherwise they could trip on something and fall. Smooth paths are good, for everyone. :-)

    Oh to walk along a river or canal. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to make the most of a nice-weather-day and enjoy the water, swans, ducks and have the chance to chat as you trundle along. And Marcia - I can vouch for Mary's excellent driving skills, as when we were out together, my little dog (who has absolutely no road sense) would have been a squished little dog but for Mary's ability to do emergency stops and avoidance manouevres!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! I suspect that he probably moves even faster now that he is a svelte little dog rather than a stout rocking horse.

      Delete
    2. Lol, lol. Yes, he's quite nifty on his feet now, but still manages to get in the way! 10Kg and counting down . . . .

      Delete
    3. I'd better take my advanced test before next I come to Cornwall!

      Delete
  6. I haven't visited Brigg since the days when traffic thundered through - I am missing a treat, by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. June 21, 2018

    Happy Midsummer’s Eve...!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel as though I have been on the roof of the world today - but I'll write about that soon.

      Delete