Search This Blog

Sunday 24 June 2018

Sir, I salute you.


Marcia commented on my last post that she hoped I found some sunshine when I went to Wales.  Yes, Marcia I did.  About thirty minutes on Thursday.  But they were thirty wonderful minutes for I was travelling up Snowden.  


The railway up Snowden has cheap fares on the 9am departure so I was there by 8.15.  What I hadn't realised was that one ought to book on line.  The first train I could catch was at 10.30 so no bargain fares were to be had.  Before nine o'clock there was a sign up saying that all trains for that day were now fully booked!


My train was steam pushed - the engine follows the carriage up the hill and goes before it when coming down.  The journey is an hour each way with just thirty minutes at the summit station.  Part of the journey up was in brilliant sunshine but the cloud had re-descended by the time we got to the top.  The scenery is magnificent.


What was also magnificent was the sheer number of walkers making the journey to the summit on foot.  I'd expected there to be a few but it was as busy as a high street.

And most magnificent of all was this man walking up Snowden with a fridge on his back to raise money for Help for Heroes, the military charity.  Sir, I salute you.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing man!

    Hope he made it, and raised much money, for the military charity!!!

    I too, salute him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely made it. I saw him at the start and I saw him at the summit and I saw him on the way down. He looked no different from how he looked at the start.

      Delete
  2. And speaking of military.....Whenever I see a person in uniform, I always shake his/her hand, and say; "Thank you for your Service."

    It's not much, but it does show that I don't take for granted, what they do, for my safety and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wales is beautiful in all weathers. I hope the man and fridge raised loads of money. It is no easy walk, fridge or no fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the blue sky in your first photo! I guess that was it. Sounds like a very popular spot. Thanks for the mention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very pleased you were able to have a holiday and that the trundle-truck was welcome most places. North Wales is on my list of destinations for The Great UK Adventure - you have increased my enthusiasm. Pity about the rain but even the wet cannot dissolve relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I didn't know you were planning a Great UK Adventure. I shall watch your blog in the hope of finding out more!

      Delete
  6. I would love to go to Wales -- the mother country of my great-grandparents. You are a lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete