Search This Blog

Sunday 8 April 2018

Normanby

Whoever named the villages of Lincolnshire seems to have run out of inspiration at some point - or maybe someone just liked the name Normanby.

I've written about Normanby Hall several times.  It's in the hamlet of Normanby within the parish of Burton on Stather near Scunthorpe.  But that's not where I've been today.

There's a village called Normanby by Spital near to my old parishes.  The Spital bit refers to Spital in the Street, or Hospital in the street but that's not where I've been today.


Today I went to Normanby le Wold, a tiny village right at the top of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  I had a delightful drive there and had the privilege of seeing a muntjac deer.  I've never seen one so close before so it really felt like a privilege.  

I arrived at the church rather early so I lingered in the churchyard listening to the birdsong which is at its best at this time of the year.

And to crown it all the privilege of conducting worship in a delightful little church.  Truly a wonderful day.


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous church -- reminds me of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty country church, it must have been a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB - this one dates bck to the thirteenth century - yours? (Couldn't resist it!
    Elizabeth - it was total delight. A beautifully maintained and well loved church in a churchyard with the most marvellous birdsong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful, what a delight to listen to the birdsong surrounded by such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new reader of your blog. Found you by way of Elaine and Tales from the Parsonage Cottage. I enjoy your writing style and quick wit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love seeing deer in the wild. All the deer round these parts are white tale; I've never seen a muntjac before. A lovely church, wildlife in person, and bird songs... perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muntjac aren't really British - they escaped from a park early in the last century. They'requite small but they can be very destructive of trees and other plants.

      Delete