Search This Blog

Monday 2 April 2018

Brookenby

Usually when I post about churches where I have been leading worship I am writing about very traditional buildings but yesterday I went to somewhere very different.


Back in the 1939 to 1945 war, Lincolnshire had a lot of RAF stations.  Gradually over the years the vast majority have closed with many reverting to farm land.  However, some have become new villages, including the old RAF Binbrook which has become the new village of Brookenby.


The old sergeants' mess has become the Church of St Michael and All Angels.  I've been there a few times and yesterday the churchwarden was waiting outside to wish me "Happy Easter" before we went in to get ready for the service.  The room used for worship is multi purpose and very flexible and before the service started I had re-arranged it a bit but you get the idea.


And it was a wonderful. joyful service.  The people there are great!  They were a bit surprised at how loudly I can shout "Hallelujah!  Christ is risen!" but they soon got the idea and we shouted at each other with great joy.  Hymns were accompanied by a piano and there was a bit of impromptu dialogue during the sermon, something which doesn't often happen in the C of E!  (I wish it did!)

I could not have had a more glorious Easter Day,  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful service. We were blessed with a visit from our daughter and family so were able to go to attend church together and give thanks. We are thankful for so much this year.

    ReplyDelete