Search This Blog

Saturday 10 March 2018

Some of my best friends are books

I no longer hoard books.  I used to - big time.  When I left school I trained as a librarian so in my work I handled as many books as anyone could want.  Then I changed course and after the odd experiment in the job market I became a parson some years later, a profession famed for bookishness.  That was when hoarding really took hold but I used my skills of book classification and cataloguing and had well ordered book shelves. All was well.  Vicarages have studies and mine was definitely book-lined.

But then came retirement and most of the books just had to go.  Unless I wanted every room in my bungalow to be dominated by volumes on theology, horticulture, cookery, needle arts and anything else which had ever taken my fancy, I had to rationalise.  

One big help in this was my Kindle.  As far as possible I no longer buy fiction in anything other than digital form.  I now enjoy many titles as audiobooks to be listened to as I do other things.  T'interweb became my main source of information on many subjects and my book buying was cut back.

 I still buy some books.  Three or four years ago I bought this one, "Small pleasures: little things that make life worth living"  published by The National Trust.  It consists of essays written by a variety of people.  Here one can read Adam Hart-Davis on the satisfaction of working with wood, Prue Leith on the pleasure of a hot bath, Roy Hattersley on grooming a dog, and a huge variety of other authors on litter picking, reading aloud, playing the piano or whatever else gives pleasure to life.

The real joy of this book is not what is in it but what isn't in it.  It has spurred me on to look at the simple things which give me pleasure.   It's a long time since I wrote about the little sources of joy I find in my everyday life.

Watch this space

6 comments:

  1. I must try and get that from the library. I am so glad that it was an inspiration to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely book, what I would call a "dippy" book to be dipped in and out of.

      Delete
  2. I shall look forward to that post, meanwhile I must order the book through the mobile library service.

    Right now I am enjoying one of my little things right now - listening to the early morning birdsong, so many layers of it. They may be hurling abuse at one another for all I know, but the sound always lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early morning birdsong is one of the joys of rural living, isn't it. Welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  3. I do try to take comfort in and to appreciate the simple things in life and I don't think I'm a particularly materialistic person on the whole. When I do buy things I try to purchase quality over quantity and to think about whether or not I really need that item.
    I enjoy things like walking in the sunshine (even if it is still freezing outside and I'm wearing a parka) and watching the birds and woodland critters from my kitchen window, because even though I live in a large city my apt. building backs onto conservation area and I enjoy the wonderful singers in our church choir and the organist who put on a magnificent "show" each week.
    I also love my books - and even though I was gifted with a Kindle - ended up donating it to a charity as I just couldn't get used to it. And even though I've downsized a lot of things - books are still an issue. I have gotten a bit better about passing along certain books and using the library more but I think I can be forgiven for my one true vice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while to get used to the Kindle but I'm glad I did. I have two and usually carry one in my handbag.

      I think I may do a few posts on some of my own simple pleasures.

      Delete