Search This Blog

Thursday 1 March 2018

Desiderata

Max Ehrman's prose poem "Desiderata" was very popular when I was in my teens and twenties and at one time I could have recited it by heart.  I can't do that any more but some lines continue to haunt me (in the nicest possible way).

I was thinking yesterday about the line "Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself" as it seems to be my theme for the moment: finding the balance between the discipline necessary for a healthy life and yet seeking joy as a quality to be cultivated as my life unfolds.

The early part of my life, (and indeed the early part of most people's lives), was spent pursuing a career, being a carer, working a lot of things out for myself.  My days of pursuing a career are over and my responsibility to be a carer has been discharged but I doubt the need to work things out for myself will ever come to an end. 

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this post but being stuck indoors for nearly three weeks has made me rather introspective so I'm sharing this lovely poem with you


Desiderata - words for life

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

5 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful. I had never read before, although I have seen quotations from it. I think my blood pressure just dropped about 10 points! Thanks for sharing. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem. I don't believe I have read it before but it is definitely full of sound advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always been a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you at one time I could have probably recited this beautiful poem but couldn't remember a word. As soon as I saw the written word it came flooding back, so I do thank you for that wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the 1970s my mother in law had a poster of that in her hallway. Lovely to re read the words some 40 years on and something to share with my daughters. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete